26 Mar Numbers
The English English Podcast S01E18
Glossary (in chronological order)
debt – the amount of money you owe to a bank, institution or person.
heat stroke – the illness suffered when people get too hot, often when they try to
do strenuous activities in very hot weather.
exponential – A way of expressing a large number using an exponent
e.g. 103 = 10 x 10 x 10
birth rate – the average number of children born per woman.
Listen and put the words above into the sentences below
1. It’s the one with the …………. of a googol.
2. I suffered a bit of ……………… I was in bed for 3 days after that.
3. What about the number which is the amount of ……… that you’re in when
you finish university?
4. According to Gapminder the ……………. is levelling off.
1. How many zeros in a current UK billion?
2. What is a googol?
3. Which of these words can you use for zero?
4. Can you put the measurements into the correct categories (weights, distances,