26 Mar Valentine’s Day
The English English Podcast S01E13
Glossary (in chronological order)
Cards- a piece of paper people use to write on and send notes to others
Teenage- the adolescent years, between the ages of 13 and 19
Table for two- the table you ask for in a restaurant if you are on a date
Speed dating- an organized activity where people meet others and find potential
partners by having short conversations with different people
A loved one- someone that you care for, a family member or close friend
Fundraisers- an event to raise money, usually for charity
Carnations- a typical flower, usually red, pink or white, given on Valentine’s Day
Have a crush on someone- when you adore someone, usually when you first meet
Over commercialized- something that is designed mainly to make money
Listen and put the words above into the sentences below
1) It’s _____ and flowers really.
2) It seems to be more of a ______ and young people thing.
3) Dinner in restaurants, maybe lots of little ____________.
4) __________ nights are popular around Valentine’s.
5) In Britain, it is literally just to your ____________ ____.
6) They do ___________, but you buy a flower, either a rose or a ____________
7) You send red if you _______ __ ________ on someone.
8) People in the UK often complain that it’s __________ ___________ and is all about
Write the definitions for these phrasal verbs then put them in the order of a
__ Go out with ___________________________________________________________________
__ Split up ___________________________________________________________________
__ Break up with ___________________________________________________________________
1 To hit on To flirt with someone to show that you are attracted to them_____
__ Ask out ___________________________________________________________________
__ Cheat on ___________________________________________________________________
__ Get together ___________________________________________________________________
Settle down ___________________________________________________________________
What is your favorite romantic film?
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Why or why not?
Describe your perfect Valentine’s Day date.
What should single people do on Valentine’s Day?